Serve up these crowd-pleasing hot dogs at your next barbecue blowout. These delicious dogs are topped with mouthwatering pulled pork and a sticky red onion relish that's sure to go down a storm at any feast.
- To make the red onion relish, melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the sliced onion. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often until the onion is soft, but not highly coloured (reduce the heat if it catches). Turn the heat up and add the sugar and vinegar. Cook down, stirring, for 5-8 minutes until the onions are sticky and glazed. Season and set aside.
- Cook the pulled pork in a microwave or oven, according to pack instructions, reserving the sachet of fiery ginger beer sauce.
- Meanwhile, make sure the coals on your barbecue are white-hot with no trace of flame, then lay the sausages directly on the bars, above a medium-hot area, and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until evenly browned and cooked right through.
- Shred the pulled pork with two forks, as directed on the pack, and combine with the fiery ginger beer sauce.
- Spread the cut insides of the rolls lightly with mustard then put a cooked sausage in each roll. Spoon a generous amount of pulled pork down one side and a sixth of the red onion relish down the other. Scatter with some snipped mustard cress, if you like.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Wrap pork and sausages separately and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge and warm through, if liked.
See more Barbecue recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.