Jamie's squash and harissa rolls recipe
Jamie says: "Get picnic-ready with my meat-free sausage rolls that everyone will love. I’ve cut down on the oven time by softening the squash in the microwave: quicker and more energy-efficient". See method
- 1 small butternut squash (about 700g)
- 100g bunch spring onions
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 100g feta
- 1 heaped tbsp harissa paste
- flour, for dusting
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp mixed seeds
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Cut slits into the butternut squash, then microwave on high for 15-20 mins until soft. Allow the squash to cool before halving, removing the seeds (see tip on how to use them, below left) and scooping out the flesh into a large bowl.
- Trim and finely slice the spring onions, drain and roughly chop the chickpeas, then add to the squash bowl. Crumble in the feta and add the harissa paste. Give it a good mix with clean hands or a spoon.
- On a floured work surface, unroll the pastry and cut it lengthways into 2 long, even rectangles. Roll the squash mixture into sausage shapes with your hands and lay along the centre of each rectangle.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Fold one side of the pastry over, wrapping the filling inside. Press down with your fingers or the edge of a spoon to seal the joins.
- Cut the long rolls into the sizes you want and space them out on a baking tray. Brush with the rest of the egg wash, scatter over the seeds and bake in the oven for 25 mins or until puff ed, golden and cooked through. Will keep for 3 days in the fridge.*
See more Jamie Oliver recipes
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.