A dusting of paprika gives a delicious spiced twist to your usual steak – and crispy sautéed potatoes make a delicious accompaniment. A perfect Valentine's dinner for two!
- Place the steaks in a shallow dish with 1 tsp of the olive oil, the paprika, thyme and a good twist of black pepper. Rub the seasonings into the meat, then set aside to marinate.
- Put the potatoes in a pan of boiling water and simmer for 20 mins or until tender. Drain and halve.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp oil in a large frying pan and add the potatoes. Sauté for 15-20 mins until golden. Add the garlic for the final min.
- Heat another frying pan or a griddle pan until very hot. Cook the steaks for 3 mins each side for rare, 4 mins each side for medium, or 5 mins each side for well done. Transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and set aside for 10 mins to rest.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach and sherry in a large saucepan, cover and wilt over a medium heat for 2-3 mins; drain and season.
- Serve the spinach with the steak, potatoes and a drizzle of the resting juices.
See more Valentine's Day recipes
As part of a healthy diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.