Prawn tempura recipe
- sunflower oil for deep frying
- 50g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75g cornflour
- 1 medium free-range egg
- generous pinch sea salt
- 200ml chilled sparkling water
- 250g large raw prawns, peeled but tails left on
- lemon wedges to serve
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Half fill a large saucepan or deep fat fryer with sunflower oil and heat until a small cube of bread turns golden brown in 30 seconds. Place the flour, cornflour and salt into a bowl and mix together. Make a well in the middle with a wooden spoon, crack in the egg and then gradually pour in the sparkling water and mix together using chop sticks and stir until the mixture is thin and a little lumpy. This will ensure the batter is perfectly light and crisp.
- When the oil is hot, dust the prawns in a little flour, shake off the excess and then briefly dip into the batter and transfer straight to the hot oil. Fry 2 or 3 prawns at a time and fry for 1-2 minutes or until just golden brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Serve immediately with lime and wasabi mayonnaise to dip into or sweet chilli sauce and lemon wedges to squeeze over.
See more Fish recipes