Pulled pork served with a crunchy salad and sweetcorn is especially great for late summer or autumn entertaining. And the leftovers make a hearty filling for a baguette, a great pizza topping or a hot potato salad.
- Combine the sugar, salt, paprika and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Place the pork shoulder in a large non-metallic dish and rub the mixture all over the meat. Cover with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for 2‑3 hours. Remove the pork from the fridge to allow it to come up to room temperature (15 minutes). Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, 200°C fan. Place the pork in a roasting tin. Roast the pork, uncovered, for 30 minutes, to seal and brown the meat.
- Remove the joint from the oven and reduce the temperature to gas 2, 150°C, 130°C fan oven. Cover the meat with foil and seal it tightly around the edges of the tin. Return to the oven for 5 1/2 hours and baste every hour with the cooking juices to keep moist.
- For the coleslaw, place the sliced white and red cabbage, grated carrots and sliced apple in a serving bowl. Combine the mayonnaise, mustard and yogurt in a small bowl, season and add to the serving bowl. Stir well to combine, cover with clingfilm and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Place the butter in a small bowl and soften with a fork, mash in the chopped chillies and seasoning. Transfer to a ramekin or spread into a cylinder on a large piece of clingfilm and roll up and twist the ends to secure. Chill in the fridge. When the pork is cooked, remove the foil and cook for 15 more minutes at gas 7, 220°C, 200°C fan to crisp up the meat. With two forks, pull the meat apart completely into shreds.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high, brush the corn cobbettes lightly with the olive oil and grill for 10‑15 minutes, until golden, turning frequently. You can now either serve the pork straight away or add the chipotle sauce, if using, and crisp up the pulled meat under the hot grill for 5 minutes.
- Serve the pork with the coleslaw, corn on the cob and chilli butter on the side. Set aside the leftover meat until cool. Wrap in foil or place in a lidded airtight plastic box and store in the fridge. Use within 2 days.
See more Pork recipes
Chipotle sauce may only be available in limited stores.
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.