Savoury Tenderstem bites recipe
Squares of puff pastry with a drizzle of cheese sauce, parsley and broccoli spears placed on the diagonal See method
- 400g Tenderstem broccoli
- 40g pack Schwartz Cheddar Cheese Sauce
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk, plus 3 tbsp for brushing the pastry
- small handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 375g ready-rolled puff pastry
Halfway through the cooking time, cover the exposed broccoli loosely with foil to prevent it from browning too much
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7, 220˚C, fan 200˚C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Bring a large pan of slightly salted water to the boil and add the Tenderstem broccoli. Blanch for 2 mins, then drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Pat dry with some kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, empty the cheese sachet into a small saucepan and whisk in the milk. Place on a medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 1-2 mins until thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside. Stir through the parsley.
- Unroll the puff pastry sheet and cut into 6 squares, around 13cm in length. Place the squares on the prepared baking tray and spoon over the cheese sauce, spreading it out with the back of a spoon until it nearly reaches the edges.
- Place the Tenderstem broccoli spears on top, on the diagonal from one corner to the other, alternating the direction the spears are placed so that it is even. You will end up with roughly 4 spears per square. Season lightly. Fold the other 2 corners over the broccoli to seal, leaving the broccoli florets exposed. Brush the pastry with the remaining milk and put the tray in the oven for 30 mins. Bake until the pastry is golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave the pastries to cool for 5 mins before enjoying warm.
See more Savoury baking recipes