Make the most of your slow cooker and whip up an apple crumble recipe that’s sure to be an instant family favourite. To get a perfectly crisp top, all you have to do is cook the apple pie for the last 10 minutes with the lid slightly ajar. Now, where’s the cream?
- Put the slices of apple in a slow cooker. Sprinkle over the ground cinnamon, orange zest and 1tbsp juice and mix together.
- Put the oats and walnuts into a food processor and pulse a few times to give the texture of very course breadcrumbs. Pour into a bowl.
- Stir the ginger, flour and sugar into the oat and walnut mixture then add the butter and mix well.
- Spoon the crumble mix over the apples, covering them all. Lay two sheets of kitchen paper on top of the crumble. Cover with the slow cooker lid and cook on a low heat for 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove the kitchen paper and cook for the last 10 minutes with the lid just slightly ajar.
Tip: Laying kitchen roll on top of the crumble helps prevent condensation dripping back onto the crumble, so you get a more crisp crust.
See more Slow cooker recipes