- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the pumpkin for 12-15 mins, tossing regularly, until browned. Tip into a bowl and set aside to cool; cover.
- Season the beef brisket all over and place in the frying pan, fat-side down, for 12 mins, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining oil and fry the onions and pepper for 5 mins, stirring regularly to scrape up any beef fat, until golden and caramelised. Add the garlic, spices and tomato purée and cook for 2 mins. Pour in the vinegar and allow to mostly cook away for 1 min.
- Tip into a 3.5ltr slow-cooker with the tinned tomatoes and stock. Add the brisket; cover and cook on low for 7 hrs.
- Uncover the chilli and stir through the beans and pumpkin. Cover and cook for a further 1 hr 30 mins.
- Shred the beef with 2 forks; season to taste. Serve with rice or baked potatoes and grated cheese, if you like, and scatter with the coriander to serve.
Tip: No slow-cooker? Follow the recipe up to step 4, then add the tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer. Transfer to a casserole dish, cover and bake at gas 2, 150°C, fan 130°C for 5 hrs. Stir, add the beans and pumpkin; cook for 1 hr.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Slow cooker recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.