Slow cookers are great for preparing vegetarian recipes, and these stuffed peppers are perfect for a veggie feast. Packed with mushrooms, feta and oregano, and served with a drizzle of vibrant green watercress and walnut pesto, this easy vegetarian recipe is a real crowd-pleaser.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and cook the onion for 3-4 mins, until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 4-5 mins, until softened. Stir in the kale and stir-fry for 1 min, or until starting to wilt.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chestnuts, mashing in the pan using a fork.
- Sprinkle over the crumbled feta, oregano and mix together well. Season to taste.
- Slice the tops of the peppers, set aside. Seed the peppers, then divide the mushroom and chestnut mixture equally between them, pressing down into the cavity.
- Stand the peppers in the dish of a slow cooker and replace the tops. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 5-5½ hrs, until the peppers are soft.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto: in the small bowl of a food processor, blitz the watercress with the nuts, until the nuts are broken down. Add the olive oil and lemon juice, season, then process again until nearly smooth. Add a little water if you prefer a looser consistency. Serve the peppers with a drizzle of pesto.
Tip: The stuffing can be made in advance and stored in the fridge.
See more Slow cooker recipes