Smoked salmon and chive vol au vents recipe
The woody-smokiness of salmon and the delicate fragrance of chives are mixed with luxurious soured cream in this elegant festive canapé;. The perfect Christmas party food idea, these vol au vents can be made in less than half an hour. See method
- 1 x 500g block puff pastry
- 1 medium egg, to glaze
- 5 tbsp soured cream
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped chives, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 100g smoked salmon, roughly chopped
If you don't have sour cream, use crème fraîche or yogurt
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle measuring approx 25cm x 35cm and stamp out 12 x 7cm fluted rounds. Take a plain 4cm cutter and make a firm indentation into the centre of each pastry circle leaving a 1½ cm border around the edge, taking care not to cut the pastry all the way through.
- Place onto a baking sheet well spaced apart and bake for 10-12 mins until well risen and golden. Remove and carefully brush the pastry border, but not the centre, with the beaten egg. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 mins until well risen and golden. Remove from the oven and gently remove the top of the centre circle of risen pastry and discard, leaving a hole in the centre ready to fill.
- Place the soured cream into a bowl and mix with the chives and mustard. Season well. Add the smoked salmon and fold through gently.
- Using a teaspoon, place spoonfuls of the mixture into the vol au vent cases. Serve scattered with extra chives to garnish.
See more Christmas party food ideas