Classic beef stroganoff recipe
A hearty beef stroganoff makes a classic, comforting family supper, with its rich and creamy soured cream sauce and beautifully tender meat. Our quick and easy beef stroganoff recipe uses rump steak for a quick cook and mixed mushrooms for an earthy finish. See method
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g beef rump steaks, fat trimmed, cut into 1cm strips
- 250g mixed mushrooms (wild, chanterelle, Forestiere or chestnut all work well)
- knob of butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 250ml hot beef stock
- 150ml pot soured cream
- 300g easy-cook long-grain rice, cooked following pack instructions, to serve
- handful chopped parsley, to serve
- pinch of paprika, to serve
If you don't have sour cream, use crème fraîche or yogurt
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Put a large frying pan over a high heat. When the pan is really hot (a drop of water should instantly sizzle in the pan), put in a little of the oil. Add half the beef, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 1-2 mins until golden, then season well and use tongs to quickly turn the strips over. Cook for 1-2 mins more, then remove and set aside.
- Fry the remaining beef in a little more oil as before, then remove and set aside. Cook the mushrooms in the remaining oil for 2 mins until golden and soft, then remove and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium and put the butter in the pan followed by the onion. Cook for 3-5 mins until soft. Stir in the flour, ensuring that the onion is evenly coated, then pour over the hot beef stock and any juices from the resting beef and mushrooms. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 5 mins or until slightly thickened.
- Stir most of the soured cream through the sauce until smooth, then return the beef and mushrooms to the pan. Finish cooking for 1-2 mins for rare steak, 3-4 mins for medium or up to 5 mins for well done, ensuring everything is heated through.
- Serve with the cooked rice and dollop over the reserved soured cream. Scatter over the chopped parsley and paprika to finish.
Tip: To make slicing the beef easier, try freezing the steaks for 30 mins beforehand.
See more Beef recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.