Steak with mini Yorkshire puds recipe
Turn simple steaks into an extra special meal and serve with wild mushroom Yorkshire puddings topped with a roasted red onion and red wine gravy. See method
For the Yorkshires
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250ml (8fl oz) milk
- 20g mixed dried mushrooms
- 40ml (8tsp) vegetable oil
For the steaks
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 4 x 200g (7oz) rump steaks
- 2 red onions, sliced into eighths
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 1tbsp plain flour
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 1tbsp thyme, leaves picked
- 150ml red wine
- 1/2tbsp brown sugar
If you don't have red onions, try using white, brown or spring onions
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Sift the flour into a medium bowl, add the salt and whisk in the eggs. Add the milk and continue whisking until the batter is smooth and thick. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over the dried mushrooms until just covered and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Drain the water into a bowl and reserve the liquid for later.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Put the onions on a baking tray lined with nonstick baking paper and drizzle with 1tbsp oil. Roast for 20 minutes until soft with crispy edges. Set aside.
- Finely chop the dried mushrooms and fold through the batter. Pour 1tsp vegetable oil into 8 holes of a 12-hole muffin tin and bake in the oven for 5 minutes until piping hot. Divide the batter between the 8 holes and return to the oven for 25-30 minutes to cook until golden brown and puffy.
- Meanwhile, heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium to high heat and cook the steaks for 2-2 1/2 minutes on each side for a medium-rare steak. Add another minute for a medium to well-done steak. Remove from the pan and loosely cover the steaks with foil. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Add 1tbsp flour and the tomato purée to the same pan and cook for 1 minute over a medium heat, then add the thyme and red wine, stirring to combine. Bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes or until the gravy reduces by a third. Pour over the reserved liquid from the mushrooms and stir in the sugar. Add the roasted onions and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Spoon the onions onto individual serving plates and serve with the steaks and mini Yorkshire puds. Pour over the remaining gravy from the pan.
See more Steak recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.