Super veggie spring rolls recipe
This mouthwatering recipe is ideal for seven and eight-year-old mini chefs as they’ll learn fantastic skills, like how to work with filo pastry and how to create a delicious filling. See method
- 1 small carrot
- 2 spring onions
- 40g (1½oz) beansprouts
- 25g (1oz) frozen peas
- 15ml (½ fl oz) oyster sauce
- 4 filo pastry sheets
- Olive oil, for brushing
If you don't have any spring onions, try using white onions or leeks and adjust the amount accordingly
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Ask an adult to preheat the oven to gas mark 7, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Also, ask an adult to top and tail the carrot, before peeling and grating it into a mixing bowl.
- Wash the spring onions and snip them into the bowl using scissors.
- Blanch the beansprouts for at least 15 seconds in boiling water and allow to cool. Drop these into the bowl along with the peas. You could also try other vegetables like finely snipped peppers.
- Add the oyster sauce.
- Place the filo pastry sheets on the work surface and snip them in half using the scissors. This pastry is very delicate so children will need to handle it carefully.
- Spoon some of the vegetable mixture along the top edge, before folding the pastry over twice and folding the two edges in.
- Roll up the spring roll and make sure it’s joined underneath so it doesn’t unravel while cooking, before placing on the baking tray.
- Repeat this until all eight spring rolls are complete.
- Brush each spring roll with oil.
- Ask an adult to put them in the oven and bake for around 15 minutes until they’re golden and piping hot throughout.
- Serve as a snack or as a tempting side dish with a Chinese meal.
See more Vegetarian Recipes