Alfred Prasad's grilled aubergine rolls recipe
This lovely vegetarian dish from Alfred Prasad is perfect for introducing kids to aubergines – a wonderful ingredient that can be used in many other dishes. See method
For the aubergines
- 3 medium aubergines
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 pinch of salt
- 67ml (4 1/2 tbsp) olive oil
For the quinoa and paneer filling
- 100g (3 1/2oz) quinoa
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 100g (3 1/2oz) paneer, grated
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 dash vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
For the crunchy vegetables
- 1 red beetroot, coarsely grated
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 red pepper, cut small
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and prepare according to packet instruction, cooking in either stock or water. Once cooked, drain off excess liquid and set aside.
- Get your little helpers to combine 3.5 tablespoons of olive oil, the toasted cumin and salt in a bowl, then mix together to make the marinade.
- Cut the top off of the aubergines before cutting lengthways into 4mm thick slices. Once again, get the kids involved by asking them to brush the aubergine slices with the marinade. Aubergine are thirsty vegetables - they soak up a lot of oil and dry out and crisp up easily, which in this case we don't want, so brush with more oil if necessary.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large frying pan or griddle pan and set over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add some of the aubergine slices and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until they soften and have a nice golden colour, then lay them out on some kitchen paper to absorb any excess moisture. Continue to cook in batches until all of the slices are ready.
- To make the paneer and quinoa filling, add a dash of vegetable oil to a nonstick pan and place over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and fry until golden.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste, ground turmeric, salt and chilli powder and fry for 2 minutes more.
- Add the quinoa, cook for 5-7 minutes then sprinkle in the grated paneer. Stir, remove from the heat then sprinkle over the garam masala powder and chopped coriander.
- To assemble, lay out the grilled aubergine slices on a chopping board. Spread a generous layer of the paneer and quinoa filling on top of each and sprinkle over the beetroot, carrot and red pepper. Wrap each slice around the filling to create a roll. Stack the rolls onto a large plate and serve immediately.
See more Vegetarian recipes