Roasted veg toad-in-the-hole
This showstopper roasted veg toad-in-the-hole is made with gluten-free flour for an impressive gluten-free and vegetarian Christmas dinner. Make quick festive stuffing balls studded with cranberries and chestnuts, then bake with roasted red onions, beetroot, carrots and parsnips in a herby rosemary batter for a colourful Christmas centrepiece.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Sift the flour and add the rosemary. Add the eggs, milk and 125ml water. Beat until the batter is smooth, then chill for 30 mins.
- Put the onion wedges, carrots and parsnips in a medium roasting tin. Drizzle over half the oil, season and toss well to ensure the vegetables are evenly coated. Roast for 25 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the stuffing balls. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the chopped onion. Cook for 5 mins until softened. Tip into a bowl and add the remaining stuffing ball ingredients, 1 tbsp of cold water and season well. Mix well until everything is fully combined. Use damp hands to shape the mixture into 8 balls and set aside.
- Remove the vegetables from the roasting tin and set aside. Increase the oven temperature to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Add the remaining oil to the roasting tin. Return to the oven for 10 mins to heat the oil.
- Pour the batter into the roasting tin. Scatter over the roasted vegetables, beetroot and stuffing balls. Bake for 30-35 mins or until the batter has risen and is golden all over.
See more Vegetarian Christmas recipes
View full recipe details