Treacle toffee tart
This indulgent treacle tart recipe uses gorgeous golden syrup and black treacle for a rich and sticky pudding. With a beautifully buttery pastry, flavoured with zesty orange, it's a truly delicious dessert that's the perfect Bonfire Night recipe. You can even warm this baked tart through on the barbecue, simply wrap in foil.
- To make the pastry, put the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor and briefly pulse to combine. Add the butter and orange zest, pulsing to fine crumbs. Gradually add the egg and orange juice, pulsing, until it comes together in large clumps. Remove and shape into a flat disc. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas 8, 220°C, fan 200°C. Put a large baking tray inside to heat up. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thickness. Use to line a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Prick the base with a fork, line with nonstick baking paper and fill with baking beans (or rice). Bake, on the preheated tray, for 12 mins.
- Remove the paper and beans and return to the oven for 5 mins, or until golden. Remove the tart case and reduce the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Put the black treacle, golden syrup, orange zest and juice and a pinch of salt in a pan. Warm over a medium heat, then stir in all of the breadcrumbs. Remove and set aside for 10 mins, or until the syrup has been absorbed by the crumbs. Stir in the eggs, until mixed.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case. Bake for 40 mins, or until firm with a slight wobble in the middle. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 mins before removing. Serve in slices with vanilla ice cream, if you like.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Bake according to the recipe and allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 mins in a moderate oven.
See more Bonfire Night recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.
View full recipe details