Learn to make this staple gluten-free pastry recipe today and it’ll help you go a long way for all your pastry needs. You can use this recipe to make pasties, tarts and other baked goods.
- Sieve the flour, salt and xanthan gum into a large bowl. Add in the butter (and sugar, if making a sweet pastry). Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add the egg and water mixture, 1 teaspoon at a time, and fork together until it makes a smooth ball with no crumbs falling away. If still crumbly, add in a little water, 1 teaspoon at a time, but be careful not to make the mix wet or sticky. Gently flatten into a round, wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until cold.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Once the pastry is cold, roll it out between 2 sheets of floured clingfilm to a thickness of about 0.5–1cm (1/4–1/2in).
- When you are ready to line the 23cm (9in) pastry/flan tin, remove the top layer of clingfilm and roll the pastry over your rolling pin with the bottom sheet of clingfilm still attached. Lay the sheet of pastry over the tin with the bottom layer of cling film now uppermost, then remove the cling film. Work quickly, handling the pastry as little as possible.
- Gluten-free pastry is much more fragile than regular pastry, so it is likely to tear and crumble as you transfer it to the tart shell. Just patch it up and push the pastry into the mould of the tin, making sure there is an even thickness and there are no cracks.
- Prick the base with a fork then bake the tart blind for 20 mins. Remove the blind baking weights and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes until the base is dry and biscuity. Remove and cool on a wire rack. The tart shell can now be used for either a savoury quiche or a sweet tart.
Gluten-free cooking tip: Xantham gum aids in gluten-free baking making them less crumbly and makes gluten-free pastry easier to roll and handle. It's available in specialist health food stores and in some supermarkets.
See more Gluten-free recipes