Vegan banana bread recipe
Classic banana bread has been given a vegan makeover for a teatime treat everyone can enjoy. This easy vegan recipe cake uses oil instead of butter and is topped with a sliced whole banana for a pretty, bakery-worthy finish. See method
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled
- 200g soft light brown sugar
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 250g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- icing sugar, for dusting
No self-raising flour? Add 2 tsp baking powder for every 150g plain flour
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180˚C, fan 160˚C. Line a 2lb loaf tin with nonstick baking paper. Mash three of the bananas in a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and oil and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add the flour, ground almonds and cinnamon and stir to a smooth batter. If your batter seems very thick, add a splash of dairy-free milk to loosen.
- Pour the cake mix into the loaf tin, then halve the remaining banana lengthways. Sit both halves on top of the batter, cut-side facing up. Bake for 1 hr until a thin skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool to room temperature. Dust with icing sugar before slicing.
Tip: Banana bread is a great blank canvas for adding different flavours – try chopped vegan chocolate, raisins or swap the cinnamon for vanilla extract or orange zest.
For a glossy finish to your banana bread, brush the bananas on the finished loaf with 1 tsp maple syrup.
See more Vegan cakes and bakes