Beef and chorizo empanadas recipe
These tasty beef and chorizo empanadas make for a rich and spicy summer dish, sure to provide a flavoursome and filling family feast and ideal for packing into a picnic hamper. See method
- olive oil, for frying
- 500g pack beef mince
- 2 x 130g packs diced chorizo
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 mixed peppers, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 x 320g packs ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
If you don't have mince, cut open some sausages instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- In a large frying pan, heat a little olive oil and fry the beef mince and chorizo until golden and cooked through. Add in the tomato purée, herbs and spices and fry for 30 seconds before adding the peppers and a small splash of water. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, then transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. When the filling is cooled, unroll the pastry packs and stamp out 12 medium or 24 small rounds with a large mug or cup. Fill each round with 2-4 tbsp of the beef mixture and then fold the pastry over and push the seams together. To seal, tuck the seam around on itself to make a rope design or use a fork to crimp the seam.
- Chill the pastry parcels on a baking tray for 20-30 minutes, then glaze with beaten egg and sprinkle with a little salt. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve warm or cold.
See more Picnic recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.