Beetroot and goat's cheese cups recipe
When feeding a crowd, it helps to have a few easy-assembly dishes up your sleeve. These colourful beetroot cups make delicious party nibbles or bites to share as part of a buffet and can be made ahead of time. The tangy goat's cheese and crisp pastry are the perfect base for earthy beetroot, crunchy nuts and a little zingy lemon. See method
- 200g beetroot, scrubbed and trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 375g pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 300g soft goat's cheese
- 80g Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 15g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 10g chives, snipped
- 1 lemon, zested
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C and place a baking tray on the middle shelf to heat through. Slice the beetroot into 16 small wedges or evenly-sized chunks. Pile the beetroot onto a large square of tin foil and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Wrap the foil around the beetroot to form a sealed parcel, then place back on the hot baking tray and roast for 15-20 mins until tender. Unwrap the beetroot and season with a pinch of salt while hot. Leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, unroll the pastry and stamp out 16 rounds using a 7cm cutter. Gently press each round into the holes of a muffin tray to make a shallow cup. Bake for 12-15 mins until lightly browned, then leave to cool in the tin. If the pastry has puffed up during baking, gently press it back down into shape with a spoon while still warm.
- Mix together the goat's cheese, yogurt, mustard and garlic until completely smooth, then chill for at least 20 mins or until ready to assemble.
- To serve, spoon a dollop of the cheese mixture into each pastry cup, then top with a piece of roasted beetroot and a few of the chopped pistachios. Garnish with the snipped chives and grate over the lemon zest before serving.
Tip: These cups are great to make ahead if feeding a crowd. Fully assembled, the cups can be made up to 2 hours ahead and stored in the fridge. Alternatively, the cooked and cooled beetroot and pastry cups, and the whipped goat's cheese mixture, can all be made up to 2 days in advance and stored separately in airtight containers. While the cheese mixture should be chilled, the cups can be kept at room temperature.
See more Vegetarian recipes