Bilberry pie with cream recipe
- 250g Tesco lighter ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- a little plain flour, for dusting
- 500g bilberries (use blueberries if not available)
- 150g caster sugar
- 2tbsp cornflour
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 200ml reduced fat thick cream, for serving
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Combine the cornflour, bilberries, lemon juice and sugar (apart from the 1tbsp) in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to 1cm thickness. Line a 9 inch ceramic pie plate with the pastry, cutting off the overhanging pastry (of which there should be a lot). Gather the excess pastry into a ball and roll out to 1cm thickness roughly and reserve to one side.
- Fill the pastry with the bilberry mixture. Cut the pastry into long strips that will act as decoration across the top of the pie. Arrange in a wide lattice pattern making sure each strip of pastry reaches the edge of the pie plate.
- Seal well and brush the exposed parts of pastry with the beaten egg. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the pastry is cooked and the filing is glazed and hot.
- Remove and allow to rest for a few minutes before serving with a small bowl of the thick cream on the side.
See more Pie recipes