Boxing Day bubble and squeak traybake recipe
Bubble and squeak is a Christmas leftover classic and we've made it even easier in this traybake version. Top with a herby sage butter and a dollop of cranberry sauce and dig in. See method
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 100g Savoy cabbage, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 175g leftover roast potatoes, roughly chopped
- 100g leftover roast parsnips, halved
- 100g leftover cooked Chantenay carrots or green veg
- 425g pack root vegetable mash or 400g leftover mashed potato
- 30g butter
- 5g fresh sage leaves or ½ tsp dried sage
- cranberry sauce, to serve
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Use a little oil to grease a roasting tin roughly 23cm x 25cm.
- Toss the cabbage with the thyme and 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Season with salt and black pepper. Scatter into the roasting tin and arrange the leftover roast potatoes and veg in the tin. Dot with heaped spoonfuls of mash. Bake for 20-25 mins, until the cabbage is crisp and the other vegetables are piping hot.
- Melt the butter with the sage in a small saucepan until foaming. Take the traybake out of the oven and spoon over the sage butter. Serve with cranberry sauce.
See more Christmas leftovers recipes