This traditional Irish potato pancake is perfect for an indulgent breakfast. See method
- 250g (8oz) raw potato, grated
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 250g (8oz) mashed potato
- 284ml pot buttermilk
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 25g butter
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Place the raw potato in a clean tea towel and squeeze to remove any excess liquid. Stir through the flour and baking soda and then mix in the mashed potato.
- To make mashed potato, boil the potatoes in salted water for about 18 minutes, until soft to the point of a knife. Drain and return to the pan for a minute over a very low heat to dry them out. Add milk or cream and olive oil. Mash until smooth. Season.
- Stir in the buttermilk until you get a thick batter and season really well with salt.
- Heat a little oil and butter in a large frying pan. Then drop in heaped spoonfuls of the potato mixture and cook for 3mins on each side until lightly browned and the potato has cooked through. Remove from pan, keep warm and cook the remaining boxty.
- Serve with some bacon and roasted tomatoes or your favourite breakfast sides.