Cheesy broccoli calzone recipe
Even the pickiest of eaters will love these super veggie calzones, packed with tender broccoli and creamy ricotta. Easy to make and low-cost too, these calzone pizza pies are the real deal. Serve with smooth tomato sauce as a sweet and tangy dip. See method
- 2 x 145g packs pizza base mix
- plain flour, for dusting
- 500g frozen broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250g tub ricotta
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 25g grated pecorino
- 200g jar smooth tomato sauce
If you don't have any spring onions, try using white onions or leeks and adjust the amount accordingly
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Tip both packs of pizza base mix into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add 200ml warm water. Bring together with your fingertips to make a rough ball, then tip out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead for 5 mins until smooth. Divide the dough into 4 balls, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise for 15 mins.
- Cook the broccoli for 4-5 mins in boiling, salted water until thawed and warmed through. Drain, reserving 50ml cooking water. Roughly chop; set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the garlic for 30 secs. Tip in most of the broccoli, reserving a few florets. Add the 50ml water and cook for 10 mins until the broccoli breaks down into a mash; season. Stir in the ricotta, spring onions and pecorino and cook for 2-3 mins. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Roll the pizza balls out to 20cm rounds (3-4mm thick). Divide the broccoli filling between each round, piling it up on one side and leaving a 1cm border. Top with the florets.
- Fold the empty half circles over the top of the filling and pinch together to seal. Transfer to a lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the sauce in a pan over a medium-low heat until just simmering. Transfer to a bowl and serve alongside the calzone.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Broccoli recipes