This decadent dairy-free dessert is perfect for special occasions, and as it's wheat-free too, all your guests can enjoy it. The set jellies use coconut milk for a rich and creamy finish, and are sweetened with honey, rum and warming spices. Finished with a soya milk caramel sauce, this would be ideal for Christmas as they can be made ahead for a stress-free dessert.
- For the caramel sauce, heat the sugar and 60ml (2 1/2fl oz) water in a small pan, over a medium heat, for 2-3 minutes. When small bubbles start to appear, gently swirl the pan around by the handle, but dont be tempted to stir it or the sugar will crystallize. Boil for 6-7 minutes, until it turns a deep gold.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the soya cream it will bubble vigorously, but keep stirring. Return the pan to a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, then stir in a pinch of salt. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Put the gelatine leaves in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for 4-5 minutes, until softened.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut milk in a pan set over a medium heat, until just simmering. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Squeeze out the excess water from the gelatine leaves and stir them into the warm coconut milk, until dissolved.
- Stir in the coconut cream, honey, vanilla, rum, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg, until combined. Divide the mixture between 6 x 120ml (4fl oz) moulds and chill overnight, or until set. To serve, dip each mould into boiling water for a moment to loosen, then turn out onto a serving plate. Warm the caramel sauce through and pour it over the milk jellies when youre about to serve.
See more Christmas desserts
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.