Sticking to a special diet doesn’t mean missing out on the best desserts. This dairy and egg-free chocolate cake is the perfect vegan recipe for an indulgent treat or for serving up for a special occasion.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a 20cm (8in) round cake tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl mix together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, 230ml (8fl oz) water, vanilla and vinegar, then pour into the flour mixture. Mix together very well until smooth.
- Pour into the cake tin and place in the centre of a preheated oven. Bake for about 30 mins until risen and firm to the touch. A skewer should come out clean. Leave to cool in its tin for 10 mins then turn out onto a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooking make the icing. Sieve the cocoa powder and icing sugar into a large bowl. Add in the dairy-free margarine and vanilla extract and use an electric whisk to combine everything together until smooth and fully incorporated.
- It will look very dry, but don't add any liquid as it will come together after a minute or two of whisking. Refrigerate for 30 mins before using.
- When the cake is completely cool, spread the chocolate icing liberally over the top and serve.
See more Dairy-free recipes