Paprika burgers are Dee’s son’s favourite, so that’s what she’s going to make him on A level results day. He’s so nervous to find out how he’s done and Dee’s keeping her fingers crossed for him, but she’s proud of him no matter what. So, whether he’s celebrating or in need of a bit of comfort, his favourite burgers seem fitting for the occasion.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Heat a griddle pan on a high heat and cook the pepper quarters for 10-15 mins, turning halfway through, until soft and charred.
- Meanwhile, combine the mince, grated onion, garlic, oregano and 1 tsp of the smoked paprika, mixing well with your hands. Season, then shape into 4 patties. Set aside.
- Bake the ciabatta rolls on a tray in the centre of the oven for 8-10 mins. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large, lidded frying pan over a medium heat (lid off). Add the sliced onion and cook for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until soft; remove and set aside. Turn up the heat to medium-high and heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the patties and cook for 3 mins on one side. Flip over and lay the Cheddar slices on the cooked sides. Cook, covered, for a further 2 mins, or until the cheese has melted.
- While the burgers are cooking, mix the mayonnaise with the remaining paprika and cut the ciabatta rolls in half.
- Spread a layer of the paprika mayo over each ciabatta half. Top the bottom buns with the lettuce leaves, a burger patty, griddled peppers, onions and jalapeños, and top with the other half of the bun.
You can freeze the uncooked burgers on a tray in the freezer. Once frozen, pop the patties into freezer bags. Place back on a tray to defrost completely in the fridge before cooking them.
Scatter chopped peppers, chillies, and jalapeños over tortilla chips, add a sprinkling of grated cheese and pop under the grill for 5 mins. Serve with salsa and soured cream for a quick and tasty treat – perfect for sharing.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.