This traditional Irish potato, sausage and bacon stew hails from Dublin and is the ultimate comfort food to fuel the family.
- Preheat the oven to Gas 4/180°C/Fan 160°C.
- Cut the bacon into thick slices. Bring 1.2 Litre (2 pints) water to the boil. Add the bacon and sausages and leave to simmer for 5 mins. Then drain, reserving the cooking water. Place the meat into a large, deep ovenproof dish.
- Arrange the onions and potatoes around and scatter over some of the parsley. Season and then pour over enough of the cooking liquid to just cover.
- Tuck a piece of buttered grease-proof paper on top and cook in the oven for 1hr – 1hr 15mins until the liquid has nearly boiled away, the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
- Scatter over some more parsley and serve with buttered greens.
See more Irish recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.