Nothing beats a good old fashioned fruit cake, perfect for any time of the year. Filled with apricot jam, candied mixed peel and maraschino cherries - a slice for afternoon tea is a delicious treat that will win the hearts of everyone.
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 3, 170°C, fan 150°C. Grease and line a cake tin with a double layer of nonstick baking paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy using an electric hand-held whisk. Add 75g (3oz) of the flour and beat until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between additions and follow it with the apricot jam and almonds.
- Add the remaining flour and beat until smooth. Fold in the raisins, candied mixed peel and cherries until incorporated. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and create a cover with some aluminium foil, making sure you leave room for the cake to rise in the tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 170°C then remove the cake and discard the aluminium foil. Lower the temperature to Gas Mark 2, 150°C, fan 130°C and bake for a further 50-70 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin to room temperature. Once cool remove from the tin and arrange on a serving plate. Cut portions and serve.
See all Baking recipes