Popcorn gets a festive twist in this delightful edible gift, coated in treacle, golden syrup and a blend of warming spices. You can even make a big batch and store in an airtight container for up to a week in advance.
- Preheat the oven to gas 1⁄4, 110°C, fan 90°C. Grease two shallow roasting tins. Oil 2 wooden spoons. Butter a mixing bowl and add the popcorn
- In a medium pan, heat the butter, sugar, treacle, golden syrup, cinnamon, ginger, mixed spice and vanilla, stirring until the butter has melted.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil; cook for 3 mins, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the bicarbonate of soda (the mixture will foam). When the foaming has subsided slightly, pour the mixture over the popcorn and toss with the oiled spoons, until coated.
- Spread the mixture out over the prepared trays. Bake for 1 hr, stirring every 15 mins. Remove from the oven and break up any large clumps of popcorn; leave to cool before packing into cellophane bags.
See more Christmas edible gifts recipes