Gnocchi bake with green veg recipe
Little ones will love digging into this vegetarian cheesy tomato gnocchi bake. If you're short on time, add the peas and beans to the gnocchi mixture in step 4, then sprinkle with cheese and bake. See method
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 15g fresh basil
- 500g tomato passata
- 50g 50% less fat soft cheese
- 400g gnocchi
- 30g pecorino cheese
- 100g fine green beans, trimmed
- 100g frozen peas
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°, gas 7. Heat the olive oil in a large oven-proof pan over a medium heat. Add two sprigs of basil and cook for 2-3 minutes until the leaves begin to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Return the pan to the heat and pour in the passata. Stir in the cream cheese and simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, pick and finely chop the cooled crispy basil leaves and stir through the sauce.
- Fold in the gnocchi and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Sprinkle over ¾ of the pecorino, then transfer to the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, steam the green beans and peas for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the gnocchi from the oven and scatter over the remaining cheese. Tear over the basil leaves and serve with the beans and peas.
See more Lunch ideas for kids
Cooking for children: There are no reference intakes for children and all of these recipes are based on recommendations for an adult woman's portion size. In children of different ages, there is variation in their energy (calorie) requirements and nutrient recommendations. If you are interested in which portion size is best for your child, you can visit the School Food Standards.
As part of a healthy diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.