This incredibly delicious seasonal salad combines hearty grains with crispy onions, stir-fried kale and a creamy tahini and lemon dressing. Freekeh, a type of roasted wheat with a smoky, nutty flavour, works wonderfully in this dish, but you can swap in quinoa or brown rice, if you prefer.
- Put the grains into a medium sized pan, cover with the hot vegetable stock and cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Add more boiling water if it gets a little dry. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and stir-fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen paper to drain.
- Blanch the cabbage and kale in a large pan of boiling water for 1-2 minutes, drain well and set aside. Place the pan back over a medium heat, add the garlic and chilli and fry for 30 seconds. Add the blanched greens and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Season well and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Whisk together the tahini, olive oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, yogurt and 3 tbsp of cold water and season to taste.
- Mix the cooked grains with the cooked greens and pile onto a serving plate. Drizzle over the dressing, scatter with the crispy onions and finely grated lemon zest and serve.
See more Vegetarian recipes