Greek chicken pot roast served with buttered tagliatelle recipe
For a hearty family dinner, try this delicious chicken pot roast served with tagliatelle pasta. Made with sweet red pepper, tomatoes, smoked paprika, black olives and feta cheese, it's packed with gorgeous Greek flavours and gives wonderfully tender meat that's sure to be loved by all. See method
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 100ml white wine
- 100g pitted black olives
- 125g cherry tomatoes
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 large British free-range chicken
For the pasta
- 500g tagliatelle
- 40g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 80g feta cheese
If you don't have chopped tomatoes, chop up a tin of plum tomatoes instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Heat half the oil in a large casserole dish on a medium heat. Add the onions and pepper and fry for 5-6 mins, until softened. Add the garlic, smoked paprika and 2 tbsp of parsley to the pan and cook for a further 2 mins. Add the wine to the pan and reduce the liquid by half before stirring in the olives and cherry tomatoes.
- Add the tinned and fresh tomatoes along with 50ml of water to the dish and bring the pot to the boil. Reduce and simmer for 10 mins uncovered. Season to taste.
- Season the chicken and drizzle over the remaining olive oil. Place the chicken in the centre of the casserole dish and put in the middle shelf of the preheated oven. Cover and cook for 1 hr 15 mins. Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 mins, uncovered, or until no pink meat remains. Remove from the oven and sprinkle over the feta.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the pasta and cook for 6-7 mins, until just al dente. Drain the pasta and stir through the butter and parsley. Gently combine until the butter is coating the pasta.
- Serve the chicken alongside the pasta.
See more Chicken recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.