Griddled broccoli with pistachio nuts, lemon and olive oil recipe
Get ready for brilliant flavours with this griddled broccoli recipe. It's drizzled with a garlic, lemon juice and pistachio dressing, and makes either a tasty starter or side dish. See method
- 375g head broccoli
- 1½ tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp
- 1 small lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
- 30g pistachio nuts, finely chopped
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat a griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan over high heat until very hot; about 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut the broccoli into florets, then cut each floret in half lengthways to create as much surface area as possible for griddling.
- Brush the cut sides of the broccoli with 1 tsp of the oil, then arrange the florets cut-side down in the hot pan in a single layer. Rest a heavy, heatproof weight (like a large saucepan) on the broccoli to press it down on the pan to get a better sear.
- Cook the broccoli for 2-3 mins until well charred, then use tongs to turn the florets and press again with the weight, cooking for a further 2 mins until charred on the other side and just tender.
- While the broccoli is cooking, pour the remaining 1½ olive oil into a small saucepan and place over low heat. Add the lemon zest and 2 tbsp of the lemon juice, stir in the garlic and chopped pistachio nuts and warm everything together for 2 mins.
- When the broccoli is ready, transfer to a serving bowl, toss with the nutty olive oil dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tip: The broccoli is best served immediately, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave at full powder for 1-2 mins or in the oven at 170°C, fan 150°C, gas 3 for about 5 mins until piping hot all the way through.
See more Vegetarian recipes