Say 'I love you' with these cute heart-shaped sandwich cookies, filled with a delicious pink buttercream. Your loved ones will be touched with this homemade, edible gift.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, 160°C fan and line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl, until soft and light. Beat in the egg and lemon zest. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl with a pinch of salt and whisk, until combined. Divide the mixture into two bowls. Fold in enough red colouring gel to reach the desired shade into one bowl and leave the other plain.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/2cm thick. Cut out heart shapes with 2 different heart-shaped cookie cutters (about 5cm and 7cm, although it’s fine to use just one size). Place the cookies on the baking trays, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 6-8 minutes (depending on size), until just turning golden at the edges. Leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, whisk the butter in a bowl, then begin whisking in the icing sugar, a little at a time. Then whisk in some red colouring gel and the lemon juice. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a medium-sized round nozzle. Sandwich the heart cookies with the buttercream.
Storing instructions: Plain, unfilled biscuits, that are fully cooled, will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If iced, they should be eaten on the same day. Best stored in an airtight container, such as a tupperware box or cake tin.
Freezing and defrosting instructions:
Bake according to the recipe but stop before adding decoration or icing if called for. Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven. If you wish to add icing or decoration, add them after the baked goods have fully defrosted and are at room temperature.
See more Mother's Day edible gift recipes