Send lots of love and kisses to that special someone with our delectable XOXO red velvet cupcakes. Before you start this baking project, you will need 12 cupcake cases and some pretty packaging to seal your XOXO edible gifts in a box.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk, until softened. Add the red food colouring and vanilla essence, then whisk in the eggs with 3 tbsp flour, until combined.
- Whisk in the remaining flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add the buttermilk, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar; continue mixing, until combined.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing. Using an electric whisk, beat the butter and icing sugar, until light and fluffy. Add the soft cheese and whisk again, until smooth.
- Using a palette knife, spread the frosting over the cooled cupcakes. Decorate half with red fudge sprinkles in the shape of an ‘X’ and the remaining half with the silver pearls in the shape of an ‘O’.
Tip: To make your own buttermilk, simply stir 1 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar into 250ml (8fl oz) semi-skimmed milk. Leave it to stand for 5 minutes, until curdled.
Storing instructions: Un-iced cupcakes will last for up to 3 days. Iced cupcakes should be eaten on the same day. Best stored in an airtight container, such as a tupperware box or cake tin.
See more Valentine's Day recipes