This easy midweek meal, shared by chef and author Shivi Ramoutar, is crammed full of gorgeous caribbean flavour and pairs jerk-marinated pork chops with an exotic pineapple calypso rice. Liven up your weeknight suppers with this easy Caribbean recipe.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, 180°C fan. Score the surface of the pork chops a few times and rub the jerk paste deep into the meat. Season and set aside. For richer flavour, you could leave to marinade for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold running water. Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large pan, add the garlic, allspice, thyme and rice and stir well to coat the rice. Add 400ml of water and bring to the boil. Add the coconut milk, reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat, and add the chops. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side so they start to brown and crisp up, then set onto a roasting tray. Pour any remaining oil in the frying pan over the chops, loosely cover the tray with foil, but tightly seal the edges, and pop into the oven for about 10 minutes, until the chops are just cooked through (the juices should run clear when the pork is pierced). Let the chops rest for a few minutes with the foil still covering.
- In a small frying pan on a low heat, toast the cashew nuts until light gold and they give off a nutty aroma. Roughly chop.
- To finish the rice, remove the garlic clove from the pan and gently fold in the spring onion, chilli, sweetcorn, pineapple and coriander. Add the nuts, season and toss together.
- Place the rice in a serving bowl and serve with the chops, drizzled with any juices left in the roasting tray.
See more Caribbean recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
This delicious recipe was created by chef and author Shivi Ramoutar and is part of our Tesco Dinner Tonight series, which shows you how to make quick and easy midweek meals.You can watch the full video recipe here.