Kosher baby challah rolls recipe
- 1 sachet (7g) fast action dried yeast
- 2tsp salt
- 250ml warm water
- 600g strong white flour
- 1tbsp clear honey
- 50ml vegetable olive oil
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 2 egg yolks – to glaze
- 4tsp poppy seeds/ sesame seed – to decorate
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Mix together the yeast, salt and 100ml of the warm water. Add this to the flour. Mix this together slowly either by hand or in the mixer using a dough hook if available.
- Add the honey, vegetable oil and beaten eggs into the flour mixture and remaining 150ml warm water. Continue to knead the mixture until it is smooth and shiny. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise for 2 hours in a warm place or until double in size.
- Knock back the dough. (Collapse the air out of the risen dough) Divide the dough into 100g portions and separate each one into 3 equal pieces. Knead the dough gently before rolling out each piece to form a thin sausage.
- Line up each thin sausage so that all cross over half way and start to plait by beginning at the middle and working towards you. Turn the dough around and complete the other side. Press the ends together and tuck them neatly under the bottom.
- Line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Place the baby challahs on the tray. Glaze with egg glaze and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
- Leave to prove for 20 minutes. (Proving is the second rising of the dough.) Preheat the oven to 200ºC, 400ºF, Gas mark 6.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and sounding hollow when tapped on the base. Cool on a wire rack.
- All bread can be frozen when cooled.
*Some Kosher products may only be available in limited stores
See more Kosher recipes