Lemon and passionfruit tart recipe
If you're looking for for lighter tasting desserts and puds, try this citrussy lemon and passionfruit tart. The zingy lemons paired with tropical passionfruits gives this tart a refreshing burst of flavours. See method
For the pastry
- 200g (7oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 75g icing sugar
- 1/2 unwaxed lemon, zest grated
- 2 large egg yolks
For the filling
- 4 unwaxed lemons
- 3 passionfruits
- 6 large eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 150ml double cream
- crème fraîche, to serve (optional)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- To prepare the pastry, put the flour, butter, icing sugar and a pinch of salt into a food processor and pulse until you have fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Mix the egg yolks with 1/2 tablespoon ice cold water and add to the flour mixture. Pulse again until the dough starts to come together. Lightly shape into a ball, then flatten into a disc, cover with clingfilm and chill for an hour until firm.
- Lightly flour a work surface. Roll out the dough until large enough to cover a 23 x 3·5cm (9 x 1·5in) loose-bottomed, fluted flan tin. Press the dough into the tin and prick the base with a fork, then chill for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190ºC, fan 170ºC and put a solid baking sheet on the middle shelf to warm.
- Line the pastry shell with nonstick baking paper and baking beans and cook on the hot baking sheet in the oven for 15-20 minutes until pale golden. Remove from the oven and cool slightly while you prepare the filling. Turn the oven down to gas 3, 170ºC, fan 150ºC.
- To make the filling, add the juice of 4 lemons and the zest of 2 to a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer over a medium heat until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Meanwhile, cut the passionfruit in half and add the juice and seeds to the cooled lemon juice.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and sugar, add the cream and mix to combine. Add the lemon and passionfruit mixture and stir well. Sieve the mixture into a large jug and carefully pour into the baked pastry case. Return to the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the custard is just set.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Serve with crème fraîche, if you like.
See more Dessert recipes