Love-heart almond biscuits recipe
Scribble love messages on these almond flavoured heart-shaped biscuits for your loved one and all your favourite people. Great for Valentine's Day or Mother's Day, these cute cookies are great for any celebration of love! See method
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g light brown sugar
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g rice flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
For the icing
- 500g royal icing sugar
- white icing pen, for the outline
- pink food colouring
- blue food colouring
- green food colouring
- yellow food colouring
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C fan. Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugars in a bowl with an electric beater, until softened. Add the egg, the almond essence and 1 tbsp of the plain flour, then whisk again until smooth. Add the remaining flour, the ground almonds, rice flour and baking powder and whisk until combined. Bring together into a ball with your hands.
- On a floured surface, roll out to 1/2cm thick. Stamp out 25 hearts with a 7cm cookie cutter and place on the lined baking sheets. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and bake for 8-10 minutes, until just turning golden at the edges. Cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk the royal icing with 80ml cold water using an electric beater for 5 minutes, until thickened. Divide between five separate bowls, then add drops of each food colouring to the different bowls so you have four pale colours. For the fifth bowl, add the pink colouring until you have a stronger pink. Mix in 2 tsp of icing sugar, until you have a much thicker consistency – this will be for the writing.
- Draw a heart outline on the biscuits with the white icing pen, then pour different coloured icings into each heart. Leave to set (about 30 minutes) then, using a piping bag fitted with a thin writing nozzle and filled with the stronger and thicker pink icing, pipe on love messages. Leave to set.
Tip: You can loosen icing that’s been left uncovered by beating until smooth. Add a little water if you need to.
Storing instructions: Plain biscuits, fully cooled will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Iced biscuits should be eaten on the same day. Best stored in an airtight container, such as a tupperware box or cake tin.
See more Valentine's Day recipes