This rich, beefy chilli will make a delicious family meal. It goes well with cooked brown rice or toasted flatbread, but is hearty enough on its own.
- Soak the dried chilli flakes in a little hot water for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Add the olive oil in a pan placed over a high heat. Once the oil has heated, throw in the diced beef and sear until browned. Remove from the heat and set aside the meat.
- In a large pan, add 1tbsp of fresh olive oil and place over a medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the sliced garlic and onions and cook until just starting to brown.
- Add the diced beef back to the pan, then add the cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, sugar and chilli powder.
- Pour in the coffee and add the soaked chillies to pan, ensuring the beef is well covered. Cover with a lid, then simmer on the lowest heat until the beef begins to fall apart, between 60-90 minutes.
- While the chilli simmers, dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the coriander. Chop the green chillies if using, removing the seeds and washing hands thoroughly after handling.
- Remove the lid and add the kidney beans. Simmer the chilli until thickened and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve the cooked chilli into warmed bowls. Children can spoon in the sour cream, and sprinkle the fresh tomato and coriander as garnish. Adults can add the chopped green chilli if using. Serve with a wedge of lime.
See all Cooking with Kids recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.