This rich, beefy chilli will make a delicious family meal. It goes well with cooked brown rice or toasted flatbread, but is hearty enough on its own.
- Soak the dried chilli flakes in a little hot water for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Add the olive oil in a pan placed over a high heat. Once the oil has heated, throw in the diced beef and sear until browned. Remove from the heat and set aside the meat.
- In a large pan, add 1tbsp of fresh olive oil and place over a medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the sliced garlic and onions and cook until just starting to brown.
- Add the diced beef back to the pan, then add the cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, sugar and chilli powder.
- Pour in the coffee and add the soaked chillies to pan, ensuring the beef is well covered. Cover with a lid, then simmer on the lowest heat until the beef begins to fall apart, between 60-90 minutes.
- While the chilli simmers, dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the coriander. Chop the green chillies if using, removing the seeds and washing hands thoroughly after handling.
- Remove the lid and add the kidney beans. Simmer the chilli until thickened and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve the cooked chilli into warmed bowls. Spoon in the sour cream, and sprinkle the fresh tomato and coriander as garnish. Add the chopped green chilli if using. Serve with a wedge of lime.
See more Beef recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.