Mini egg cake pops recipe
If you're looking for a fun kitchen project to keep the kids busy this Easter, try making this mini egg cake pops recipe. Chocolate mini eggs (we've used mint ones but pick your favourite!) are wrapped in a rich chocolate cake mixture and dipped in chocolate for a truly indulgent Easter snack. Dig out your sprinkles and have fun decorating! See method
- 400g pack chocolate sponge cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 200g chocolate frosting, mixed with ½ tbsp just boiled water until loosened and smooth
- 100g pack Lindt Lindor Milk Mint Mini Chocolate Eggs
- 300g mint dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 25g vegetable fat
- 25g desiccated coconut
- 1/8 tsp green food colouring
- 35g gold crunch sprinkles
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C. Tip the cake mixture into a mixing bowl and add the eggs and 120ml water. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Divide the mixture equally between 2 x 20cm greased and lined cake tins. Bake for 15-20 mins until risen and firm to the touch. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Break the chocolate cake into pieces, put into a food processor and pulse until you have fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl, add the chocolate frosting and mix well to combine.
- Roll the mixture into 20 roughly shaped balls (about 35g each). Insert a mini egg into the centre of each and re-roll, ensuring the egg is completely covered and the ball of cake mixture is as smooth and round as possible.
- Line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Melt 50g of chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Dip a skewer into the melted chocolate, coat the end generously, then insert into a cake pop ball and put on the baking tray. Freeze on the tray for 30 mins until the skewers are securely fixed to the cake balls.
- To decorate, stir the green colouring through the coconut, then rub together with your fingertips to fully colour the coconut. Transfer to a shallow dish. Put the sprinkles into a shallow dish.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and stir through the vegetable fat until melted. Dip each cake pop into the melted chocolate and swirl to coat. Scatter the cake pops with sprinkles or coconut, then place into jugs or mugs to hold them upright while they set. Chill in the fridge for 30 mins to set completely.
See more Easter recipes