As Italian-inspired desserts go, this orange and almond polenta cake is definitely one of our favourites. Served with a sticky honey and orange syrup, it makes a delicious dessert or party treat – just add a dollop of vanilla cream!
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a 20cm (8in) round springform tin with nonstick baking paper and grease with sunflower oil.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, ground almonds and polenta. Add the orange zest and juice, eggs, honey and oil; mix to combine. Spoon the cake mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin before turning out onto a serving plate or cake stand.
- For the syrup, put the honey, orange juice and 60ml (2 1/4fl oz) cold water in a microwave-safe jug. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring halfway through with a metal spoon, until combined and heated through. Alternatively, put all the ingredients in a pan and warm through on the hob.
- Pour the syrup over the cake and leave to seep in.
- Put the yogurt or cream in a small bowl and swirl through the vanilla paste. Scatter over the orange zest. Serve the cake in slices with a dollop of the cream or yogurt on the side.
See more Baking recipes