Treat yourself to a steak salad for dinner – perfect for eating outside as the evenings turn warmer. Plenty of fresh herbs jazz up this creamy ranch dressing for an indulgent potato salad piled on top of peppery watercress and finished with the best bit... juicy slices of griddled steak.
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan of water for 8-10 mins until almost tender. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Put all the ingredients in a jug with 3 tbsp water and whisk together, adding another 1 tbsp water, if needed, to get a drizzling consistency. Season to taste and set aside.
- Brush the steaks with a little oil and sprinkle over half the ground black pepper. Heat a griddle or frying pan over a high heat and cook the steaks for 3-4 mins each side for medium-rare, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a warm plate, cover and leave to rest while you prepare the salad.
- Halve the potatoes and put in a bowl with the red peppers. Add the oil and remaining black pepper and toss to coat. Transfer to the hot griddle or frying pan and cook for 4-5 mins on a high heat, turning occasionally, until tender and charred (you may need to do this in 2 batches).
- Pile the watercress onto a serving platter. Thinly slice the steaks and add to the platter with the potatoes and red peppers. Drizzle over some of the dressing and serve the rest on the side.
See more Steak recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.