Popcorn honeycomb recipe
Is it popcorn or honeycomb? It's both! This indulgent treat is perfect for Bonfire night or a special sofa snack. What's more, it's vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free, so almost everyone can tuck into this crunchy, chewy, sweet and salty delight. See method
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- 40g salted popcorn
- 300g caster sugar
- 150g golden syrup
- 1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 x 100g bars classic dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Grease and line a 20cm square tin with nonstick baking paper. Scatter half the popcorn over the base of the tin.
- Put the sugar and golden syrup in a large saucepan over a low heat and cook, stirring, until melted – don’t let it boil. Once melted, increase the heat to medium-high and cook for another 2-3 mins until deep amber.
- Remove from the heat and quickly whisk through the bicarbonate of soda until just incorporated (don’t overmix), then quickly tip into the prepared tin over the popcorn. Scatter over the remaining popcorn and set aside for 1-1½ hrs to cool and set. It will continue to bubble into small pieces and sink a little as it cools.
- When the honeycomb is set, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over (not touching) a pan of barely simmering water. Break the honeycomb into shards, then dip half of each piece into the melted chocolate. Transfer to a sheet of baking paper to set. Will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
See more Bonfire night recipes