Roast chicken is always a crowd pleaser and this Italian inspired pesto chicken accompanied with a side of delicious chunky roast vegetables is a fantastic way to upgrade standard roast chicken for an elegant dinner party.
- Preheat the oven to gas 2, 150°C, fan 130°C. Spread the onion out in roasting tin and drizzle with the oil.
- Starting at the cavity end of the chicken, gently ease the skin away from the breast and insert the pesto in the gap. Using your fingers, smooth the skin back over the chicken, spreading the pesto out underneath. Rub the skin with a little seasoning. Put the garlic in the cavity.
- Transfer the chicken to the tin, breast-side up. Tie the legs loosely with string. Pour the stock and wine into the pan, and then cover with foil – ensuring the edges are sealed. Roast for 2 hrs or until cooked through and the juice run clear.
- Meanwhile, toss the vegetables with the olive oil. Season well and spread out over a large baking tray. Set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Remove the foil from the chicken and spoon over the remaining pesto. Return to the oven along with the veg and cook for a further 15-20 mins, until golden.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and cover loosely with foil. Leave to rest for 20-30 mins, until the veg is cooked. Serve the chicken with the veg and roasting juices. Garnish with the basil and rocket, if you like.
See more Chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.