- Ask an adult to preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220°C or fan200°C.
- Grease a baking tray with reduced fat spread to stop the scones from sticking.
- Grate the cheese into a bowl or onto a chopping board, with the help of an adult.
- Sift the self-raising flour into a mixing bowl and add the butter or margarine. Now it's time to get your hands dirty! Using your fingertips, rub the butter or margarine into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Lift your hands to get air into the mixture and shake the bowl to encourage large lumps to the surface.
- Add the grated cheese and mixed herbs and stir well.
- Pour in the milk a little bit at a time, mixing with a palette knife as you go along, and saving a little bit for the end.
- Once you’ve formed a soft dough, tip it onto a lightly floured work surface and roll the dough out with a rolling pin or your hands until it’s about 1.5cm thick.
- Cut out the scones using a cutter, place them on a baking tray and brush the tops with the remaining milk.
- Ask an adult to put the scones in the oven to bake for 12 to 15 minutes until they’re golden brown.
- Serve warm or as a tasty lunchbox snack.
This is a Let’s Cookalong recipe from The Tesco Eat Happy Project, helping children have a healthier, happier relationship with food.
Find out more about The Tesco Eat Happy Project