An aromatic marinade packed with toasted coriander and cumin seeds, cinnamon and paprika makes these juicy lamb cutlets wonderfully-spiced. They can be prepared up to day in advance and are a brilliant party food idea for festive celebrations.
- In a dry frying pan, toast the coriander and cumin seeds over a medium heat for 1 min, or until fragrant. Tip into a mortar and, using a pestle, grind to a powder. In a bowl, toss with the cinnamon, paprika, garlic and oil. Season well and mix to combine.
- Put the lamb in a large dish. Pour over the spice mixture and rub it into the meat until well coated. Leave to marinate for at least 30 mins, or chill overnight.
- For the chutney, heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook over a low heat for 10 mins, or until softened. Uncover and increase the heat to medium. Cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally until the onion starts to turn golden.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and dates. Cook for 5-10 mins more, stirring until sticky. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside to cool. Cover until needed.
- Preheat the grill to high. Cook the lamb for 4 mins on each side. Transfer to a serving platter and scatter over the pea shoots, pomegranate seeds and mint. Serve with the chutney.
Tip: To give your lamb gorgeous griddle marks, cook the cutlets in batches on a large griddle pan (rather than under the grill), until just cooked through and nicely charred.
See more Christmas party food ideas
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.