Make the most of spring's best ingredients with this lemony broth made with spring onions, leeks and carrots and packed with homemade herby dumplings. This delicious soup makes a delightful Easter starter or light spring supper.
- In a large casserole dish, melt the butter for the broth over a medium heat. Add the leeks, spring onions and carrots, lower the heat and cook gently for 5-7 minutes or until the leeks and spring onions have softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour over the stock, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Add the lemon juice and zest and cook on a low heat, uncovered, for 18-20 minutes or until the vegetables have begun to soften.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the butter. Using the tips of your fingers, rub together the butter and flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir through the chopped herbs and season to taste.
- Using a wooden spoon or cutlery knife, stir in the cold water, starting with 2 tablespoons, adding more if needed to create pliable dough. Roll the mixture in to 12 even-sized balls. Set aside on a plate to chill for 10 minutes.
- Stir the spring greens and herbs through the soup. Season to taste. Carefully nestle the dumplings atop the soup so they are floating on top. Season with black pepper. Cover the dish back up and cook for a further 20-25 minutes on a low heat until the dumplings are puffed up and cooked all the way through. Divide between four bowls and garnish with the chopped red chilli.
See more Vegetarian recipes