Sprout, blue cheese and walnut puff pastry tart recipe
This sprout and walnut pastry is a great Boxing Day main. Any soft melting cheese will work here - why not try Camembert for extra festive flavours? See method
- 320g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 50g grated mozzarella
- 1 small onion or shallot, thinly sliced
- 180g pack peeled baby sprouts, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves pulled
- 100g Stilton or other vegetarian blue cheese, crumbled
- 30g walnut pieces, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp clear honey, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water (optional)
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Unroll the pastry onto a large baking tray, leaving it on the baking paper. Scatter over the mozzarella, leaving a 2cm border around the edges.
- In a bowl, toss the onion and shredded sprouts with the olive oil, garlic and thyme. Season well with salt and black pepper and spread out evenly across the pastry. Crumble over the Stilton and scatter over the walnut pieces. Grind over some black pepper. Cut slits into the pastry border and overlap or fold it up to decorate if you like. Brush the border of the pastry with the beaten egg mixture, if you like.
- Bake for 25-30 mins, rotating the tray halfway through if your oven has hot spots. The pastry should be puffed and deep golden brown.
- Drizzle over the honey and leave to cool for 5 mins before slicing to serve.
See more Alternative Christmas main recipes